Scars are one of the factors that create insecurities. No one wants to have flaws in their appearance. Flawless skin is one of the parameters for the same. But with time, things don’t remain the same. In case of accidents or mishappenings, scars find a permanent place on the skin. Acne and pimples also leave scars sometimes.
Many ointments and medical assistant training in Sacramento. Most of these work on minor scars only. The tough ones, like surgical scars, are difficult to get rid of. This can lead to negative body image, lack of confidence, and low self-esteem. Fortunately, medicine is advanced enough to correct most of the scars.
What is scar revision surgery?
In simple words, it is a cosmetic surgery meant to reduce or improve the appearance of scars also, you need cosmetic surgery for Facelift Orange County. It corrects the disfigurements or skin changes and restores functions lost due to wound or injury, poor healing, incision scars from any previous surgery.
Understanding the scars
Scar tissue is formed when the skin subjected to injury, wound, or thigh lift Manhattan. The depth of the scar depends on the following.
- Depth, location, and size of the wound
- Skin pigmentation and other characteristics
The type of scar revision surgery to be performed depends on the type of scar. Types of scars are mentioned below.
- Keloid – This is a thick scar. It is different from the rest of the skin in terms of colour and texture. This type of scar is removed from the point where it meets the normal skin tissue.
- Contracture scar – This is a result of the burning of the skin. Tightening creates difficulty in movements. Sometimes, they can go deeper and affect the muscles and nerves as well.
- Hypertrophic scar – It is a raised, red scar that goes beyond the wounded area. The primary aim of any treatment method for this is to flatten the scar.
- Acne scar – This type of scar is a result of severe acne. The appearance ranges from deep pits to wavelike to angular.
When does one need scar revision surgery?
One may go for this surgery in any of the following cases.
- A keloid
- A scar at an angle with the normal skin tension lines
- A thickened scar
- Distortion in features due to a wound or scar
- Thickening of the skin due to a scar causing difficulty in mobility
Risks and complications
Like every other surgery, scar revision also comes with many risks, complications and side effects.
- Scar recurrence – This procedure is also a type of surgery, after all. There is always a chance of a scar recurrence. If not performed skillfully, it can leave a new scar.
- Keloid formation or recurrence – This is the worst-case scenario. But, there is always a chance of recurrence or formation of a new keloid.
- Dehiscence of the wound means separating and opening the wound/ stitches to reveal the contents.
- Bleeding, infection after the surgery.
- Blood clots
- Adverse reaction to the medicines or anaesthesia used.
- Darkening of the scar after the slightest exposure to the sun (Sunscreen should be applied to avoid this)
Scars are a source of insecurities. But with the new age medical techniques, correcting flaws in appearance is possible. With cosmetic surgeries, one can alter the way one looks to some extent. Although these are expensive, it doesn’t affect the popularity one bit. Scar revision is one such example.
It is a commendation for those struggling with issues related to scars. There are risks, complications and side effects involved. But with proper precautions, it can be a blessing.